Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Celtic Woman Concert

Ok, before I actually get to the concert, I must express to you what the reactions of the people going were like: and before I get to that I must also explain who was going:
There was my mom, me, Sis, Diane, Jen, Heather, A.C. and K. R.
Ok, now I think the most excited people were Kris, Heather, and Jen. They were like scream and yell and jump-up-and-down excited. Mom was excited, but she doesn’t show excited well; neither does Diane. A.C. and K.R. are just wee folk and were excited in their own way. Me…it didn’t hit me that it was really happening and that it was not just a dream till half way through the concert. After all I had just got back from camp (another dream-come-true) when I heard about it and it was just like “Oh that’s nice.” And then half way through the concert I realized that I was excited and I was like “Oh well that stinks. Half way through and only get to feel excited for a moment.” Sigh. Such as it goes I suppose.
And now, the trip and concert: For one thing I must let you know that we found out that my mom was a drag racer at some point in her life because we all thought we were going to die on the freeway with her crazy and fast driving. We all started yelling “WE ARE GOING TO DIE!!” and she said “No! Don’t say that! Think positive!” And there was a moment of silence then Heather yelled “YAY! WE ARE ALL GOING TO HEAVEN!”… I think you can imagine the response to that…
Anyway, we got to the hotel room and got all dressed up (and sis wore a pretty pink dress and even let Heather put makeup on her...and she did not wear her boats with the dress!) then we went to eat at a Japanese Restaurant which was awesome. It was fun to watch him cook the food in front of us and do his different tricks and what not, but the greatest part about it was when the guy who was cooking at the table right across from us started flipping shrimp tails over his shoulder…Hahahahaha! It was great….He flipped one back and it almost hit Heather, then he flip another back and it went clear across and hit mom in the head!!!! It was hilarious!!! Heather was like “FOOD FIGHT!” and we all nearly died laughing and he just glanced back at us to see what we were laughing at! He had no idea what had just happened! That was great!
Anyway, we get to the concert and when the lights go out the drummers make their way up on stage first and this lady way clear in the back yells “I LOVE YOU RAY!” (who is the long haired drummer that has been with the group since the beginning) and he stands up and waves with a great big smile (you could tell that he enjoyed that). Then Mairead (who is lovingly called ‘the fiddle fairy’) starts playing and the first song they do is ‘The Sky, Dawn and Sun’ It was totally awesome! The rest that they did before the interlude were mostly pop songs then after the interlude they started doing the more traditional songs. It was freaking awesome!
The singers were: Chloe, Lisa, Alex and Lynn, who did not appear to be feeling well or something because she was just not up to snuff…she tripped on stage and her voice gave out a couple of times in a few songs…oh well, she tried and it was still good!
Mairead was ornery! The normal director, David Downs, was not there this time and I felt sorry for the poor fill in director, even though he seemed to be having fun (but not as much fun as the singers, drummers and fiddler!)
There was this one song where Mairead plays along with the piano and she starts adding in all these extra notes- doing her own thing and the poor director is trying to keep up with her on the piano. She watches him for a moment with this mischievous look on her face and he finally throws up his hands and crosses his arms because he couldn’t keep up with her and she just giggles and starts bouncing all over the stage with that fiddle!
You could tell that they were all very enthusiastic and sincere about what they were doing and they just loved playing for their audience. I think if there would have been steps going from the stage into the crowd, they would have gone right out into the crowd.
By the end of it, when they all take their bow, the audience is crazy cheering and clapping. The girls began walking off stage with Mairead being the last. She pauses a moment and looks back at the audience then at the director then back at the audience and she smiles and shakes her head and starts playing on her fiddle and bounces back on stage and begins another song. The drummers were thrilled and began drumming happily, the singers all turned around and came bounding back with huge smiles and soaring voices and the poor director sat down shaking his head like “we went through this already” and they played an extra 30 min. for us! It was awesome!
It would be well worth it to go again, get VIP tickets and back stage passes. It so totally would.
Now, here comes the truly ironic part: we did have an oprtunity to get an audograph and pictures…Ray the long haired drummer walked right by us, waved and said hi and would have stopped had we had some paper and pens for him to use…then we are half way back to our vehicle and Jen halts and almost literally screams “I HAD A CAMERA WITH ME! I COULD HAVE GOTTEN PICTURES!!!!!”
I know…we are terrible…no- horrible…we are just a bunch of country hicks who are no good at the groupie thing!...oh well. Next time will be different! Next time Sis says she is gonna take her rope and lasso the drummer and hold him for ransom so that we can go to every Celtic Woman concert for free…that’ll be the day.
Anyway, there is so much it seems that I left out, but that is the extent of it…it was awesome and well worth going too! We have one of their live concert DVD’s and it cannot compare! You HAVE to go to a concert to get the full effect of this group!
Well, now that I have made you all sick with jealousy and I have given you the important facts, I must away.
Hopefully I will post again soon!
Till then,
Shieldmaiden
P.S. You can become a fan of each woman in the group on facebook just to let you all know!
Name pronunciation:
Chloe (Cl-ō-ee), Mairead (Mar- Ade), Celtic (Sel-tic)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I AM SO JEALOUS!!!! Did they sing "O, America"? I love that song!
Is Celtic really said sel-tic? I've always heard (and been corrected) that it was kel-tic... hm... :)
Sounds like you had fun.

Shieldmaiden said...

Yes they did sing 'Oh America' and yup it is sel-tic...hehe. They were amasing!

Mommy said...

No it's 'Kailtic', sillies...

Anonymous said...

Wow! I just recently was introduced to Celtic Woman music, and really enjoyed what I saw. I watched the Live DVD and it was really neat. I have been told it was "keltic", but I really wouldn't know. Glad you enjoyed yourself Kathryn! :)
Christin