Saturday, February 14, 2009

Why I do not date:

Why do you not date? Why do you not believe in dating?
These are the questions that I am most frequently asked by old and young alike.
The answer is simple: Dating is set up to bring fulfillment into someone’s life… I have Jesus to fill that space, I need no other.

Today’s average dating is: you hang out with someone, you break up… everyone that confronts me on this issue says at some point: ‘dating supposed to prepare you for marriage’, but it sounds like its preparing you for a wreck of a marriage to me.

I prefer courting.
Courting is where the young man comes to the father and asks if he may court his daughter for marriage. The mother and father are supposed to prepare you for marrage.
Dating is ‘Hey, you’re cute, you’re nice, and you’re popular. Let’s hang out’ whether the parents agree or not'…shucks they don’t even have to know!

I like to ask these questions when the issue of dating comes to mind:
1. Am I ready for marriage? Physically? Mentally? Spiritually? Do I know how to take care of a house? Balance a check book? Cook a homemade meal? Take care of children?
2. What kind of person would Jesus want me to hang out with, much less get married to?

Now, if a young man (or vise versa) asks you on a date ask them this and see what happens:
1. Why do you want to date me?
2. Are your priorities straight?
3. Are you ready to commit to marriage? If so, go talk to my dad.

You might be surprised at the answers.

Now, some pointers on me.
1. I am not going to date, or court, or whatever you wanna call it, until I am ready for marriage and God calls me to get married.
2. I am not ready for marriage, so why ‘date’?
3. God will provide a husband for me in His own good time, so why man hunt?
4. I only want God’s best for me. My best is not the best, but close to the worst.
5. I am completely trusting God to do the work for me. I don’t have to raise a finger to try to find a husband.


Well, how do you expect to get married if you don’t date?
I don’t have to. God will bring the perfect man into my life when the time (God’s time) is right. To say different would be saying ‘I don’t trust God, my Heavenly Father, enough to find me a husband’. That is just wrong. I have faith that God will take care of it. It’s silly even to worry about it!
When God decides to send the right man at the right time it will just happen. Don’t ask me how, it just will. Both sides will know that it is God’s will.
God works in mysterious ways, but I don’t think that He likes to work through a man hunt…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very good points Kathryn. I agree with you! Why should a girl who is not near ready for marriage fill her mind with guys? It is so sad to me that people in the church, people that are bible-believing christians think that the God that made the whole universe needs their help to find the right person for them.
I meant to call you yesterday, as an encouragement, but I totally forgot! I am so sorry. I will try to call you either tomorrow or the next day. I am praying for you. :) Love you sis!
Christin