Monday, March 9, 2009

Reply to the commenters on the Prince Caspian Post


To those who left the comments on my thoughts about Disney's Prince Caspian (The ones who think Prince Caspian the movie Needs to Die):

I did notice that Aslan was sort of a side character in the film; however, he was that way in the book too. He, and the girls, were all sort of side characters in the book, but him mostly. It was focusing on the boys learning.
Also, Aslan was still credited the true King of Narnia in the movie and was the only one who could make things properly right. He was the only one who restored Narnia and saved the day even though he did not ‘come roaring in like last time’ as Lucy quoted. ;)

Peter (in the movie) learned while he was in Narnia that he was stupid for being so stupid. That defiantly showed at the end of the film. He figured out that it was a stupid idea to not wait on Aslan and he and Caspian did quite bickering once Peter realized that Caspian was more in the right, and that he was the one making things worse. I saw regret, remorse and an effort to make things right, from Peter and I also saw that he did learn something.

He did make up with Caspian in his own way when he gave Caspian the sword- twice: when he allowed Caspian to decide the fate of Miraz and in the end before he left Narnia.

At the beginning of the movie, he was not fighting with the other school boys because he was being haughty; it was because he was tired of being treated like garbage by them. Not that that makes it right to fight, but he did not start it. (And knowing me, I would have fought too) Caspian also was not being haughty at all in the movie. Both young men were willing to sacrifice their lives in the movie in case you did not notice.
Also, Peter’s actions and repentance in the movie has more meaning today than it did when C.S. Lewis was alive. Hopefully it will help some kids see the right and wrong and go the right way like Peter did.
I would like to remind you also that Peter and Susan both did mess up in the book too when they would not listen to Lucy about Aslan and a few other places. They weren’t any more perfect in the book than they were in the movie.
Also, they brought up another point that I don’t think that they really meant too in the movie…Caspian, Susan, Peter, Edmond; they were all young people fighting to defend their country and those within it…how many young people in our country today feel like they could defend and lead those defending their homeland?...interesting to think about.
I do also have to point out that they could have made Susan a lot worse. They showed the proper way that a woman should fight (as long range as is possible and not arm to arm). This does not justify her being a 'warrior woman' unlike in the book, but it was another topic of discussion brought up when we watched the movie. I totally did not like the romance; that was stupid and unnecessary and didn’t even spice it up any; it was the battles that made it interesting.
I think that they put the romance in there because of the book between the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and Prince Caspian: the Horse and His Boy.

The Horse and His Boy had Susan and a prince in love not to mention the two main characters though it did not work out for Susan and the crabby prince 'Rabidash the Ridicules'.
So, to sum it up; if you compare it to the book, yeah, it’s messed up, but if you look at it from another perspective, away from the book, they had some really good points. And if you think about it, they really did not stray from the real meaning in the book and added some other meaning into it as well for this generation.
And finally, just comparing it to a lot of other movies I have seen recently: It was very well put together.
It could have been a lot worse and you can at least say that they did not loose the meaning.
And just as a reminder: they messed up The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe too. I would suggest that you reread the book of the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and watch the Disney movie and see what I mean. But again, they did not change the meaning. So I am not really seeing why Prince Caspian is such a big deal with you guys.
As a conclusion, I would like to point out that the old movie that was made years ago of Prince Caspian was a total bore and still is. That is our least favorite in the books and old movies though C.S. Lewis was an excelant writer and did very well on the book. But, that is just personal opinion…


By the way:... The answer to the riddle is--- Yes! Charcoal! (applause, cheering, and more applause) I am so glad that someone finally got the answer!!!! Hurray! And thanks to the ones who made very good guesses! Keep it up!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Smiles...Prince Caspian is one of my favorite movies...one point I like that they brought out was how you have to have God on your side. =)

Anonymous said...

Kathryn,
You are getting better at describing your point of view! Good job! I still majorly disagree with you, they DID change the meaning, and they stayed much closer on the Lion the Witch and The Wardrobe than they did on Prince Caspian. I have to also *sniff* say that Prince Caspian is my favorite of the books, except for the last one, so I disagree that it was poorly written. The morals in our day should'nt be any different than those in centuries before us. Anyway, I can't wait to see you again! :)
Christin

Shieldmaiden said...

Oh! No,no,no! I totally did not say that the book was not porrly written! He did a very good job writing all of his books, C.S. Lewis did; but Price Caspian was kind of a let down after the other books, because it was just NOT as exciting! Anyway, C.S. Lewis was a VERY good writer and thank you for your comment and point of veiw!